I ended up doing some major organizing in the studio yesterday instead of the claying I had planned. It all started when I pulled some canes from my trays to use and noticed they were reacting to the plastic and had started to literally "melt" through the bottom.
I am so glad I had caught it when I did or the damage could have been worse. I was quickly scrambling to find a new way to store my canes as I wanted to remove them from the trays as soon as possible. The interesting thing I discovered was that not all of the compartments were affected and as I was removing the cane pieces I realized that only the older canes that contained Premo clay were reacting and the compartments containing canes made from Kato clay were fine.
I never thought of this before and assumed all the clay brands would react the same and when I first tested the tray I had used Kato clay and not another brand.
These weren't all my canes but just my smaller pieces so I decided to empty my hardware from the little drawer units on my clay desk and do a switch-a-roo. It took most of the day to organize it all but I think I'm much happier now with the new arrangement. Here is what the trays look like now with all the little jewelry hardware pieces, odds & ends, etc.
And some of the little drawers with the canes:
On a brighter side -- I found these colorful bins at a local dollar store. They really brighten up the room and make great organizers. I just need to put some labels on so I remember what is in each one.
Saturday, February 18, 2012
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
I taught part 2 of the beginner jewelry making class at the Sewing Basket in Salmon Arm yesterday. We had a fun time and all the ladies went home wearing their new bracelet and earrings to match the pendants they made in the first class.
The ladies in the class are eager to learn more so we decided to set up another class (part 3) in March where I will teach them some more jewelry making techniques that they can build on.